Sunday, February 12, 2006

Michael Wilbon writes that, even if Maryland played well against Duke, the Terps still lost and now are facing some must-win games.

Wilbon thinks Maryland has to win four of its final six to make the NCAA Tournament. Considering that all but two of those six games are on the road, things don't look good for Gary Williams and the Terps.

I think Maryland can make it to the field of 65 if the Terps win three of the last six.

My reasoning: Five ACC teams will make the tournament. Duke, NC State and, most likely, Boston College are in. I think the other spots go to two of five teams - Miami, UNC, UVa., Florida State or Maryland.

I took a quick look at the schedules of each of those five teams. As long as none of them make it to the ACC Tournament championship game then this is what I think happens.

Miami and FSU probably both end up with 16 wins, but only Miami will be .500 in the ACC. NIT for both.

UVa., while having a wonderful season considering where people thought they would finish, goes 15-12 overall and 8-8 in the conference. NIT for the Cavaliers also.

That leaves North Carolina, which probably goes 19-8, 10-6 and makes the NCAA Tournament, and Maryland.

If the Terps win three of their final six, that's 18-8, 8-8. Perhaps they would need a win in the ACC Tournament, but I don't think the tournament committee only takes four teams from one of the best (and most years the best) conferences in America.

Now I'll await your nasty e-mails telling me why I am wrong. I'll even help you: patrick@accnation.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home