Monday, March 13, 2006

I was ready to attack the NCAA selection committee after putting just four ACC teams in the tournament this year. We knew it was coming, but once it was official I had trouble believing it.

Give credit to Jim Nantz for asking Craig Littlepage, the chair of the selection committee and the athletics director at UVa., why the ACC only got four teams, the same as the Missouri Valley Conference.

I thought Littlepage's response that the committee was sending a message to the big boys to schedule better out-of-conference opponents was a lot of hot air. Did they take a look at some of the non-conference games the teams in the MVC played?

Bradley battled that always tough Chicago State and then took on Delaware State as well. Wichita State played Missouri-Kansas City (the always dangerous Kangaroos) and Texas Pan-American. And Arkansas Little Rock and Louisiana Lafayette showed up on Southern Illinois' schedule.

Still, the more I thought about it the more I realized Florida State and Maryland, not the NCAA, are to blame for Florida State and Maryland not getting to dance this year. Maryland fell apart down the stretch without Chris McCray and FSU only had to beat Wake Forest - last-place-in-the-ACC Wake Forest - to get in.

So now it's up to four ACC teams to win the conference's fourth title in six years. NC State is gone after game one, while Carolina won't make it to the Sweet Sixteen.

My pick to win it all is Duke, but I have Boston College in the championship game. Call me an ACC guy, but after watching BC this weekend I don't think too many teams can handle them. Duke can. And will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home