Wednesday, May 10, 2006

All ACC-ess
We need to get folks pumped on this our Mount ACCMore idea, so here goes ...
I think it's obvious that North Carolina coach Dean Smith is one of the faces on our mountain devoted to Atlantic Coast Conference sports greats.
And that's it as far as stone-cold, lead-pipe locks.
I know, I know - Mike Krzyzewski should be there. I can hear the Dukies clamoring now.
Me, I'm not so sure at this point. One, I want to hold off judgment until we consider the whole spectrum of ACC sports heroes, and two, if I have to go with one basketball guy for now, it's got to be Dean Smith.
Dean Smith was and is the standard by which we measure everything that happened and happens and will happen in ACC basketball. Mike Krzyzewski is seen in the context of Dean, Jim Valvano is seen in the context of Dean, Gary Williams is seen in the context of Dean, Bobby Bowden is seen in the context of Dean, et cetera.
Without Dean-o, we might not be having this discussion right now - it could have been the ACC that got gobbled up by, say, the SEC or the Big East or some other conference looking to build its base along the way from the 1950s and 1960s to now.
So for now we have Dean Smith - and three open spaces.
Let the fun and games begin ...
- Chris Graham

2 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Evil Q on Roman Gabriel and would add a vote for Mark Warner. As much as I hate him for forcing Virginia politics onto the ACC horizon (and ultimately giving VaTech life - wouldn't it great seeing them battle the lowlifes in the Big East in football . . .). His insistence and back room politics left a significant footprint on the new ACC.

I would put Johnny Dawkins in before Coach K - simply because there isn't enough room for K's inflated ego on any mountain and Johnny Dawkins was the first dominoe in terms of recruits for Duke that started the momentum that continues today.

My forth vote would be Bobby Bowden. 1991 addition of FSU was significant in the growth of football in the ACC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home