Thursday, May 25, 2006

Seminole becoming a Lion

The NFL is tough sledding. Players coming out of college are quick to acknowledge the struggles they are sure to face as a rookie. You hear comments like, “the speed of the game is the tough thing,” or “learning a new system and getting comfortable is the first order of business.” However, none of them are ever truly prepared for the reality that awaits them at mini camps and summer two-a-days. It’s just something they have to experience.

Former Florida State standout and first round draft choice of the Detroit Lions, Ernie Sims, faced his first test as a rookie and it was all it was advertised it would be. He compared his first experience in practice to full game conditions in college.

“Well, the practice that I just experienced was like game speed,” said Sims. “In college, we’ll have practice but it’s not as rapid or as up-tempo as this right here. That’s the thing that I’m going to get accustomed to.”

It’s important to point out that this isn’t your father’s Detroit Lions off season. When the Lions hired Rod Marinelli it is hard to imagine they new what they were getting. Sure, they new he was an excellent defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They new, from watching the Bucs in action, that his defense was hard nosed, disciplined, and fundamentally sound. What they could not have been prepared for is just hard nosed he would be.

The bottom line is, he demands his players show up prepared, work hard, and push themselves beyond their limits. Sims is responding with enthusiasm.

“I wanted to show that I’m competitive,” said Sims. “I feel like I want to go out there and show what you all got in your first-round draft pick. I want to go out there and show my best. I might not be in the best shape but the main thing I’m going to show you is that I’m a ball player.”

It’s been a long time since anyone could discuss fundamentals and Detroit football at the same time. Marinelli isn’t just pushing these men, he’s teaching them.

“I knew it was going to be up-tempo, very rapid and I knew that I was going to have to learn on the run,” said Sims. “There’s a lot of drills that I’m not accustomed to because when I was at Florida State we didn’t do those kinds of drills.”

It seems as though the enthusiasm is spreading throughout the team. For the first time in many years things in Detroit are truly changing. However, there is much to learn and time is short. If this team is to turn things around they must learn a new system from an extremely inexperienced coaching staff.

“That’s why I’m here in the off-season,” shared Sims, “I’ll be back May 15th and I’ll be ready to work.”

Two things are certain-the Lions know they have a new coaching staff implementing the fundamentals necessary to succeed in the NFL, and one of the ACC’s finest defensive stars is bringing a competitive, hard-nosed attitude to the table. The Detroit faithful hope these elements translate into a winning season.

- Stephen Winslow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home