Monday, December 11, 2006

The ACC bowl season (yawn ...)

There isn't an appealing Atlantic Coast Conference-related football bowl matchup among the eight games involving ACC teams this year - which actually doesn't surprise me.
OK, so I should point out that I think the bowl system needs to go the way of checkered blazers and the Heisman Trophy as being anachronistic relics of the past.
But that said, I've been trying mightily to find something in the way of a bowl game involving the ACC worthy of the time that I'm going to have to devote to watching it - and I can't find anything that fits that bill.
Starting at the top ... Wake Forest-Louisville in the Orange Bowl? Nothing against the Cardinals, but my wish here was that Wake would have been rewarded for its dream season with a game with a more traditional power - say, an LSU or Notre Dame.
How about Georgia Tech-West Virginia in the Gator? Er, Tech hasn't been the same since its impressive win over Virginia Tech way, way back toward the start of the season. The Clemson beatdown in October was among a string of uninspired performances that finished out what had looked to be a promising 2006 campaign for the Yellow Jackets.
Which brings us to Virginia Tech-Georgia in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. Putting my wishing cap back on, I would've loved to have seen Tech playing West Virginia in the Gator - that one would have tempted me to want to buy tickets and fly down to Jacksonville so I could see these two in person.
But Tech-Georgia ... not so much. The Hokies are head-and-shoulders better than the Bulldogs on both sides of the ball - and my guess is that this one will be over shortly after halftime, at the latest.
As for the rest of them ... you can have them, honestly. The only bowl game that matters anymore is the one-game, two-team playoff for the national title that this year pits top-ranked Ohio State against the nation's third-best team, Florida.
The rest of the schedule is filled with overrated exhibitions played by teams who will have had three or four or five or more weeks off since their last game - and thus three or four or five or more weeks of rust to shake off by the time it comes to get back on the field.
If it wasn't my job to have to comment on what happens in them, believe me, I would spend my time on more productive and worthwhile pursuits (cutting my toenails, doodling, making sure all of my Pez dispensers were filled, et cetera.
So if I was you ... well, consider yourself lucky that you don't have to pretend that you care.
- Chris Graham

1 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Although UM/Nevada is a better New Year's Eve watch than is Fins/Pats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home