Friday, April 14, 2006

Blue Duke

Basketball season is over, as it has been for nearly two weeks now, but still the thought of it sinks me deep into a depression. The Madness is over and as a fan I have nothing to show for it.

But that’s the life of the Duke fan; at least it has been since my senior year of high school. That was the last time the men won it all. Since then…well we haven’t done poorly – ACC Champs and our roster is always stacked with talent – but no matter what’s brought to the table, lately it hasn’t equaled a National Championship. I had thought this season would be the one.

With returning seniors like Redick, Williams, Dockery and Melchionni, and two phenomenal freshman starters like Paulus and McRoberts, this was going to be OUR year. Enter LSU and it was over. The seniors won’t be returning, they get no second chance, and I’m left searching for something to keep my attention until Midnight Madness in October.

At most ACC schools, there’s football to keep fans occupied, but we’re talking about Duke. And before you think I’m bashing my team, I’m not. I pull for them and cheer for them because that’s my school and I support all of their sports teams. However the record doesn’t lie. Last season they won ONE game, and that was versus VMI – I’m not even going there. So that crosses football from my list of things to watch.

I had considered keeping an eye on lacrosse. The popularity of the sport is growing and I’ve had the opportunity to watch a local high school game or two. It seemed like a good idea at the beginning of the season. But that too has been crossed off the list, thanks to legal battles, DNA tests and the resigning of their coach.

So that leaves me here to wait…and wait…and wait for next season and more college basketball, and maybe just maybe next year will be OUR YEAR. GO BLUE DEVILS!!

- Jessica Mays

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home