Sunday, August 27, 2006

Don't shoot the messenger
Chris and I posted our predictions on the blog over the weekend. Since then I've been killed by Boston College fans.
(To be honest, I was happy to learn there are Boston College fans. I didn't realize anyone cared about anything at this time of the year other than the Red Sox and Patriots.)
Anyway, you'd have thought I insulted Doug Flutie, baked beans or Cheers, but all I did was predict the Eagles would finish 2-6 in the ACC.
Look, Tom O'Brien has done a great job with this program this decade. Still, I can't help but think that last year's team could have easily been 3-5 in the ACC (they beat Clemson in overtime and had to rally to beat Wake Forest by five) and this year's team isn't nearly as talented.
I like Matt Ryan, but I wonder if he'll have anyone to throw to. The receivers are inexperienced, and from what I've heard, slow. They need more speed to compete in the ACC and this year's BC team doesn't have it.
Everyone makes a lot about the size of the offensive line. Sure, they're big, but I'm not sure they're all that talented. There were a couple of key losses off that line from last season, and replacing those players won't be easy.
But it's not offense where Boston College will struggle. The defensive front seven took more than a few big hits from graduation. Everyone knows that Mathias Kiwanuka is gone, but so are three other starters in that front seven, as well as several key backups. OK, Brian Toal is very good, but he'll need some help if this year's defense is to stop anyone.
And the conference schedule doesn't do BC any favors. The Eagles play Clemson in the second game of the season. The Tigers have been known to struggle early, but not this year. That's loss No. 1 for Boston College.
I think the Eagles will win at NC State, but they have no chance against Virginia Tech or at Florida State. Let me repeat that: NO CHANCE.
I think Wake Forest is much better than some are saying, and remember the Deacons should have beaten BC last year. This year it's in Winston Salem and Wake will win.
That's 1-4 in the ACC, for those keeping score at home.
OK, Boston College beats Duke. Of course, you and 10 of your friends beat Duke. So that's 2-4. Maryland is my surprise team this year. I like the Terps offense this season, and see a bowl in their future. I also see a win at Boston College in their future.
Then BC finishes up against Miami. Again, NO CHANCE.
That is how the Eagles finish 2-6 in the ACC.
Now you may return to wondering why the Red Sox won't make the playoffs.
-Patrick Hite

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home