Thursday, May 04, 2006

Love them Devils

Yes, I am a Duke fan. If you hadn’t already realized this from my previous blogs I figure I should remove any and all doubt from the minds of the readers.

So that’s the utterly intriguing topic of this week’s blog. ME! And in all honesty (since I was told it had to be ACC related), nothing gets more ACC (and by ACC I mean Duke) related than a blurb on myself.

I was born in the wonderful state of Virginia, where I still currently reside. Located right smack between Virginia Tech and UVA, one would think I would side with one or the other. But honestly, I have never really been a fan to either one, I mean turkeys don’t excite me and well I’m not too hot on the Cavilers either. I chose rather to set my sights a little further south and pull for the Blue Devils. That’s the way it’s always been and always shall be.

When I was little I watched them with my grandfather. If anyone person could be blamed for my love, it would have to be him. He was the one that had me sitting there glued to the television. The first season I remember, would have to be the 1987 season. I was five at the time and my little kindergarten heart believed my Devils would go all the way. Sadly they lost to Indiana in the Sweet 16. Indiana did go on to win that year, but at five that didn’t mean a thing to me. All that mattered was that Duke had lost. It was then that I learned that there is always next season.

I have learned in my years as a Duke fan that one thing has been consistent season after season and that is Coach K. That man is Duke basketball to me. But that could be due to the fact that I’ve only been watching for 23 years and he’s coming up on his 26th season as the head coach. Whatever the case, that man has made a fanatic out of me. He is the one that maneuvers and recruits these phenomenal athletes year after year. One can’t help but be impressed by the names that have worn that Duke blue. Guys like Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Johnny Dawkins, Trajan Langdon, Jason Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer, Chris Collins…

This list could go on and on, but not everyone’s a Duke fan so I don’t want to bore you. You either love them or you hate them, there’s no way to be mediocre about your feelings. And the love I have for this team is strong, no doubt. It is this love that defines me as a person, I’m there through the ups and the downs and every season I’ll be back, just like my team.

- Jessica Mays

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home